Monday, May 12, 2008

"Nailed" By Lynna

My reaction to the film “Nailed” is that it was interesting but yet disturbing to see these Filipino people hurting themselves. I’m a Filipino Catholic person but I don’t agree at what some of them do, especially being nailed to the cross and inflicting harm on one’s own body because of the belief that Jesus did it and so we should do the same too. I would say that I’m an active churchgoer and believe in my religion but no so religious that I would hurt myself. It was a classic film. What we watched in class is actually happening in the Philippines and that’s hard to believe that men, women and even little children are participating in such acts.
People voluntarily chose to be nailed to the cross and chose to whip themselves. The woman that was being nailed to the cross actually has done it before. More than 10 times and she still do it every year. The men that were walking and whipping their backs up to the point where they were bleeding also was their choice.
I don’t know whether I would call such an act as good behavior, but in other’s eyes, they’d probably say this was unethical. Especially if one is not from the same religion. Culture and religion in the Philippines go hand in hand together. Human life is guided by culture because who we are and what we become comes from our culture.

No comments: