Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Flor Contemplacion" by Shaun "Nutz Guy" Ramento

The impact of this film has yet to cease where it gives a great effect to Filipino domestic workers all over the world, even to me. This is probably my fourth time watching and it still brings me to tears for manang Flor Contemplacion. Of all the films I have watch for this class I would have to say this is my favorite.
The protagonist in this film is Flor Contemplacion, a hard, resilient working mother tries her best to support her family by going abroad in Singapore as a domestic worker. What she wanted in life at least is to have their children not end up like her but someone with a great education and job in the future. I’m sure that is what every Filipino mother wants for her children. But of course it should be a universal thing for mothers anyway. I don’t know much about Singapore but I heard that it has very strict policies like China where any corruption means death penalty.
The life of Flor is a very difficult one, raising four children and a husband who can’t seem to be loyal enough to Flor ends up having a relationship behind her back. Efren is another example the other films I watched as an unfaithful husband. I can’t believe there’s so many similar traits to the characters from different films. The husband always have different feeling with different women while their wives still sticks around with their husband until they could not take it anymore. Not only Efren has another woman he seems to be ashamed with his second woman. Now this of course made me angry because Efren is stupid and wishy washy. He thinks about Flor when he is with his mistress and when he is with Flor he thinks about his mistress. I’m glad his mistress left Efren at the end of the film because I’m sure she can do better than that. As for Efren he lost both of them and he took Flor for granted so now he’s alone without a wife or mistress. I felt really bad for Flor as if her situation in Singapore was already too much for her to handle her husband comes looking for a new mate while she suffers in Singapore.
I give a lot of credit and respect to the women who have been working abroad for years. Even after the beating, rape, and abuse some of them would still stick around just so they are able to get money to support their families in the Philippines. That would be the major problems when Filipino women are working abroad. It’s a risk that can get them hurt or die. The Philippine government is not doing a great job protecting their domestic workers from their rights. Action must take place after the execution of Flor because her death should be a message to the Philippines that even outside of the Philippines is pretty scary. As for the Filipino women working abroad they should know by experience and that they should speak up to the Philippine government for their rights and lives are at stake. I can’t believe that the Philippine government didn’t do much about Flor’s case especially when Flor’s lawyer suggested to her to plead guilty on her case.
This was my all time film in the Philippines because it’s a true to life story where it can happen to any domestic workers. The film also taught me a lesson on unmentioned values that deserves some spotlight now and then. It also makes me realize how lucky I am to be able to have a good education and a loving family that supports my way through college and life.