Thursday, May 1, 2008

Module 6 by Shaun "Nutz Guy" Ramento

Ethics and Virtues/ Justice and Fairness
Module 6

I would like to start this off by strongly disagreeing to the quote “Everyone is obligated to do whatever will achieve the greatest good for the greatest number.” First of all I don’t think ANYONE should be obligated to do whatever it takes to do what is right. I believe it should feel natural to anybody to do what’s right instead of feeling obligated because it sounds like a chore or something. It should be because you want to do the right thing not feeling obligated. And what is with “whatever will achieve the greatest good for the greatest number” means? The way I interpret this is attaining good for all mankind at whatever the cost is. So let’s say the greatest good is peace to all man kind, at what cost will this be? War? Having a lot of people sacrificing their lives for the cause of others? So there you go, there is no such thing as everyone is obligated to do whatever it takes to achieve the greatest good because then you would be also talking about the homeless, poverty, and people who have given up on life. There is nothing left for them except waiting for death to tap on their shoulders.
Another stupid quote that I find comical is the fundamental question of ethics is not “What should I do?” but “What kind of person should I be?” I say be whatever person you should be like as long as it includes being a good person. If society can’t accept who you really are then screw society. Always believe in yourself and not what others think about you.
According to the principle of Immanuel Kant: “Everyone is obligate to act only in ways that respect the human dignity and moral rights of all person.” It’s pretty much common sense to respect other but then how would you explain the events that happened during WWI and II where many have died for no particular reason especially the Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, etc. Where’s the respect to human dignity in that? Dictator Adolf Hitler did not even think about the consequences of the holocaust, but in his mind is the very extinction of the Jews. Just like from the previous article of Module 5 where it talked about how someone will obey commands or else be punish for disobeying order. Bottom line is how is it everyone is obligated to respect human dignity and rights when there is so many sufferings in the world
I find this article pointless to read since I felt like I already know this there are more important things to work on other than self taught morals. Usually these things should be talked about to people who are in jail and needs someone to help them reevaluate their lives and find some meaning to their purpose again.
The justice system has always been a trial and error kind of thing since the beginning of the first civilization. But as time goes by from what I read from history and current events, justice has become more lenient on punishment when comparing to the 1500’s or even way back. However, countries like China have very strict laws with very severe punishment which enforces throughout the area. Although, with these super intensive laws, none shall dare to commit the crime that results to the death penalty. Last year a former head of State Food and Drug Administration in China got the death penalty for corruption. He was bribed to approve illegal drugs. Was the punishment too harsh or did he really deserve it? Because of his corruption, babies and pets were killed from products that was filled with drugs that was poisonous. Do these people deserve a second chance in life or do these people deserve what’s coming to them because of their greed and incompetent? What about a second chance for the victims who died because of this guilty person. I guess that’s not possible.
While I am still talking about justice and fairness there is also applying this to employees. Especially immigrants who had to work in factories and fields worked very hard 18 hours everyday. The environment they worked in was very bad to their health and many got very sick and were fired because they were not fit to work anymore. What makes matters worst for them, they were not able to find another job and at the same time had very poor health condition. I would have to say that I am one of the fortunate ones that didn’t had to experience what my grandparents did in order to come to Hawaii. I’m glad my parents and grandparents are still active in their lives and are happy.
I find this article as reminder that I should count my blessings and that I am lucky to live how I live right now. I am able to get a good education and a much cleaner life than if I stayed in the Philippines.

No comments: