Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Imelda

Imelda/ Coup D’état
The movie Imelda is a very insightful look at the former first lady of the Philippines. The movie touches upon her rationale for her excessiveness in a country that is in dire need of an economic stimulus. Her wealth and beauty becomes her tool for obtaining things that she wants. Her personal reasoning’s for such antics are openly shared, and at many times these reasoning’s appear to be dysfunctional.
To me Imelda has Pretty Old Lady Syndrome a phenomena when older former beautiful women can captivate male and females to follow her every wish. To those that are vain they fall right into her trap. They see only her physical beauty instead of her true self.
This movie was my first insight on Imelda. I have seen her in pictures and in movie clips but never on a biography on Imelda. My first thought was that she was very pretty in her younger days. I also thought that she sang very well. But when she opened her mouth and spoke she was smart but conceded. She was too into herself and seemed to only know how to look good.
The one thing that stuck out in my mind was of the Center that she wanted constructed but was never fully built. This center was being built day and night 24 hours a day, Imelda wanted the project to be done fast. The problem was that everything was rushed, when things are rushed problems arise and sure enough a big accident happened. Men were buried alive by accident and left to die because Imelda wanted the project to be done. Instead of helping the men she instructed the workers to keep working. After this incident no one wanted to occupy the center. They believed the men’s spirit would haunt those occupying the Center.
I thought that this movie was good; I got to see what Imelda really was like. I got to see her excessiveness especially with her shoes. I never believed it till I actually seen a clip of her collection. Although many other Filipinos worship her till this day this film showed who Imelda and the Marcos’ really are.

James Funtanilla

No comments: