Monday, May 12, 2008

MODULE VI: Bata Bata Paano Ka Ginawa

In this module, we are introduced to the concepts of ethics and virtues. For many of us, the fundamental question of ethics is, “What should I do?” or “How should I act?” In the reading it says that ethics is supposed to provide us with “moral principles” or universal rules that tell us what to do.

In the film, Lea is faced with the question of, “What should I do?” when Raffy (Ogie’s father), tells her that he wants to take Ogie with him to America after his wife gives birth. The problem here is that Lea has two children with different fathers. Ogie is Raffy’s son and Maya is Ding’s daughter. Lea and Raffy were married, but he left her and Ogie when he had to work in Surigao. She did not join Raffy because she had a job in Manila that she didn’t want to leave. Eventually, Lea and Ding got together and had Maya. Things start to get worse when Raffy arrives in Manila and wants to meet with his son. They meet and Ogie regularly wants to see his father and spends an amount of time with him and his wife. Raffy, realizes his shortcomings as a father to Ogie and tells Lea that he wants to bring him to America, after his wife gives birth.

At this time, women were already becoming more involved within the workforce. As for Lea, she works for a non-government organization that deals with human rights and violation committed against women. Her job is somewhat demanding and it seemed like she had not time for her children. While struggling to raise her children, she had to juggle her two husbands and her job at the same time. Throughout the film, Lea’s choices are questioned, from having the two children to having her own occupation. Her two husbands, urge her to quit her job to take care of the children but the major dilemma in the film was when her two children had to choose between staying with their fathers or their mother.


Personally, not the best film to watch if you want to write a critical reflection. I’m not much of a film critic, but I didn’t enjoy the film. First of all, I didn’t even know what the translation of the title was, which made it very difficult to understand the point of the movie. Second of all, it was really boring. I’ve seen better films that were boring and this was one of them. I didn’t have much of a reaction to the film when it was over, other than questioning the ending—why did she make love to her first husband knowing that was married to someone else and just had their first child? I mean, I get that the love they had was never over with, but why cheat on her wife? I just don’t get it. I do understand that it would be the last time, but why even put yourself through that? It was stupid but others would think it was a beautiful way to end the relationship, I really don’t know. But all in all, I wouldn’t recommend this film to be viewed for this class. I would’ve liked to see what the discussion would be on this film, but due to time constraints and the ending of the school year, we didn’t get to discuss. I guess I want to see other people’s reaction to this film, because I for one did not enjoy it.

R.M. Aurellano

No comments: