Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Module 5 - J. Villahermosa

“Dekada”

“Dekada” is a film about a family in the Philippines, the Bartolome family, who goes through many hardships and conflicts during the regime of President Marcos. During this time of the 1970s, the Philippine country was under Martial Law. Curfews were implemented, many police searches happened, and hostility towards freedom occurred. The Bartolome family consists of Julian, the husband, father and head of the household, Amanda, the wife and mother, Jules, who is the oldest of the 5 sons, Gani, Emmanuel, Jason, and Benjamin, the youngest of the sons.
“Dekada” is one of my favorite films that we have watched in class so far. It made me laugh, want to cry, and kept me on my toes. It was an unpredictable movie and I like how it intrigued me through out the extent of the film. Additionally, I like the fact that the movie illustrated a critical time period in the Philippines non-documentary style. Seeing the tyrannical time of Martial Law through the Bartolome family allowed me to understand more of the factual pain and stresses Filipinos went through at that period. Overall, I feel “Dekada” was a better film when compared to the other films watched in class.
Because “Dekada” took place during the dictatorship of President Marcos, there were many protesting and rising against the government. President Marcos had great power and control over the country. Many people became radical because of the oppression they went under. Jules decided to be involved in these perilous events. He became a freedom fighter and left home to risk his life for his and other’s liberty. Although his parents were against this, he went against their wishes and fulfilled his desire.
Jules reacted to the overpowering of the Philippine nation by rebelling. In my opinion, I could not carry an act such as his. I praise Jules for doing such a dangerous task. In my perspective, I think one should abide by the greater power when in one’s society there becomes an excess display of political power. Because of difference between powers, I feel that one would not be able to overcome the greater power in some circumstances.
Although I feel the greater power must be obeyed, I don’t think it’s unjust if one fights for their freedom. Therefore, I am not against Jules actions. The fighting of freedom by the Filipinos, allowed President Marcos to realize that he could not hold the role of being President anymore. When the people power revolution occurred, President Marcos stepped down and lost his power causing Filipinos to be liberated and exultant. If the people of the Philippines did not protest, Marcos wouldn’t have lost his position as President. Dictatorship is a serious matter and if there is silence, the greater power will continue to abuse its dominance and control and the people would not be content.
The film shows clips in which protestors against the Philippine government system were brutally punished. In one scene, Jules’ friend, was shown being tied down and stabbed numerously. Jules’ friend had an open wound which was deepened more when it was penetrated intently by officers. The agony and pain was gory. Jules, on the other hand, was also tortured for fighting for his freedom. When he was caught, he was electrocuted countless times. He was also forced to freeze while lying naked on ice blocks. The punishment during the time of martial law in the Philippines was severely devastating and merciless. I was shocked to see how these people were being treated. I didn’t expect it to be so disturbing and awful. In the other films we watched in class, the pain of the people was not shown. In this film, it revealed the truth and the actual torment that people dealt with. This is what engrossed me more to the film.
Amanda, who is the main character in the film, struggles with her relationship with her husband and the upbringing of her sons. She has the responsibilities of a wife and mother and nothing more. She longs to play another role in her life and wants to take on a job. Her husband, Julian, does not approve of this. He feels like that it is the duty of the husband/father to provide for the family. He views women as being a step lower than men and is only obligated to do house work. This is what causes conflict between Amanda and Julian. I thought that Amanda should’ve augmented for herself more. In my opinion, I would find a job, although I did not have the permission of my husband, and wouldn’t allow my husband to control my wishes. I thought that Julian reacted foolishly and selfishly towards Amanda’s decision. He only did this so he could maintain his power as head of the household which in my opinion is not important if that causes Amanda to be unhappy and upset.
The film “Dekada” is an attention-grabbing film about the Bartolome family during an historic event in the Philippines. The film incorporates the struggles that freedom fighters went through which opened my eyes to the actual torture Filipinos suffered. I commend Jules for taking part in the justice of liberty. I believe speaking up is important in order to overcome dictatorship. Furthermore, I believe it is imperative to not allow others to control you although greater power is involved.

No comments: